Home | About Sam | News & Media | Email Updates | The Ledger | Contact
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
I hope this e-mail finds you and your families well. I'm 39th Legislative District Representative Sam Low. Welcome to all of you in Skagit County and any others new to the 39th Legislative District after our recent redistricting process.
If you are unsure which district you live in, please use our tool.
We just wrapped up the fourth week of the 2023 legislative session here in Olympia. Moving forward, you can expect regular video and email updates like this to keep you informed on what I am working on, where we are in the legislative process, and how you can be involved.
This session, I'm serving on four House committees:
- Transportation, assistant ranking
- State Government and Tribal Relations
These assignments have kept my days full as we take on some of the major issues facing Snohomish and Skagit counties.
To be appointed assistant ranking member as a freshman legislator is a great honor. That's why I was extremely pleased to be selected by my colleagues to serve as an assistant ranking member on the House Transportation committee.
Without question, helping lead the Transportation Committee gives me a great opportunity to advocate for our district's unique transportation needs.
Four weeks into the session, I have sponsored six bills, including one that already passed the House unanimously.
- HB 1031 – removes barriers to presenting everyday citizens or groups who put their lives at risk to save another with the state Medal of Valor award (passed House). Click here to watch the Medal of Valor bill pass off the House floor.
- HB 1442 – requires disclosure by candidates or campaigns that use synthetic media (deep fakes) and creates a civil cause of action for candidates whose appearance, actions, or speech are altered in ads or other election-related communications
- HB 1443 – aligns online voter registration with in-person registration by allowing people to register to vote using their social security number just as the paper document allows.
- HB 1271 – allows emergency vehicles to use lights and sirens when transporting donated organs to save a life. Click here to watch as I discuss this bill in committee.
- HB 1096 – makes assaulting an amateur sports official a Class C felony.
- HB 1504 – ensuring elementary school children get sufficient recess.
Watch my recent video about these bills and more here.
Want to get involved in the legislative process?
Consider bookmarking the following links:
- Visit my website | Rep. Sam Low
- Visit the Washington State House Republican website
- Follow Washington State House Republicans on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and SoundCloud
- Stay involved | How you can be involved in the Legislative process
- A daily roundup of online news stories sent directly to your email | The Capitol Buzz
- Legislative news aggregator | The Ledger
- House Republican Caucus weekly newsletter | The Current
- Find a list of all state agencies, boards, and commissions | State agencies
- Main website | Washington State Legislature
Watch legislative proceedings
To watch House and Senate committee hearings, floor sessions, and other legislative business, go to tvw.org.
Click here to track the status of a bill. After entering a bill number, you can read the text of a bill, see the sponsors, the bill's history, and its status in both legislative chambers.
You can sign up to testify remotely if you are unable to attend a committee hearing on a bill in Olympia. You may also submit written testimony to a committee and get your position on a bill noted for the legislative record. Click here to learn more about participating in the process.
The most important part of my job is ensuring I am accurately being your voice here in Olympia and to do that I need to hear from you. I encourage all of you to reach out to me directly. Find out how to get in touch and how you can be part of the legislative process here. I look forward to hearing from you.
Stay in touch!
I am committed to staying connected with you as the session progresses. Feel free to contact me if you have questions, concerns, or ideas regarding your state government.
It's an honor to serve you!
430 John L. O'Brien Building | P.O. Box 40600 | Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7967 | Toll-free: (800) 562-6000